The Ben NanoNote is running OpenWrt! :)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sun Aug 9 20:34:58 EDT 2009

Yi,

> I have contacted our manufacture. They used two LCM vendors for this
> type of product: AUO and Giantplus. For Ben NanoNote, Giantplus will be
> used. However, the LCM on the device you have in hand may from AUO. I
> have specs of both and will send them to Wolfgang to put onto
> downloads.qi-hardware.com.

It's not that easy but still good news overall!
The AUO datasheet (61 pages) is very restrictive, water-marked for the
customer, "No Not Copy", "all rights strictly reserved", "Any portion
of this paper shall not be reproduced, copied, ...".
We are not allowed to put this on downloads.qi-hardware.com.

The Giantplus datasheet (50 pages) on the other hand carries no copyright
information at all, but the author is pretty clear from the headline
on every page "Giantplus Technology", so we can assume this is the author
that holds the copyright.

I suggest we define 2 policies at Qi Hardware wrt datasheets:

1. For 'unmarked' datasheets (that are not marked as 'confidential', or
water-marked to a specific customer), we will upload the datasheets to
downloads.qi-hardware.com, similar to services like alldatasheet.com
or datasheetarchive.com. We will do this even for datasheets that do not
specifically allow redistribution, because datasheets that are specifically
marked to allow redistribution are rare, and it seems to be common standard
in the hardware industry to accept public archival of such datasheets.
If the copyright owner (author) of such a datasheet notifies us that they
do not wish to have their datasheet publicly archived, we need to take it
down however.

2. We will prefer vendors with open datasheets whenever possible. In the
case of the LCM here, I'm happy to hear we chose Giantplus over AUO. The
AUO datasheet is very closed. Please make sure we have a guarantee that
only the Giantplus LCM will be used for the Ben in our contract. Sometimes
they swap in LCMs from second sources... As for the prototypes, maybe we
can send people Giantplus replacement LCMs?

Feedback very welcome...
Best Regards,
Wolfgang