[Company] Weekly Operations Update 32/2009

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Mon Aug 10 19:30:16 EDT 2009

Hi,
the main news for me last week was Mirko Vogt's report of successfully
booting an OpenWrt image [1]. Boot time until console was 5 seconds!
He uncovered some unpleasant things too, such as a binary hack on top
of Linux's mtdblock driver. It seems to add a layer to swap good blocks
for bad blocks in transparently. Not only an ungly hack, but also a GPL
violation.
So far our contacts at Ingenic have been silent about this, only saying
'this will remain closed', but that won't stop us from removing the
binary blob and fixing the underlying bugs in the proper place.

A visit to our factory in Shenzhen clarified how we can integrate the
reflashing of our image into the production and testing process.
Some more work is needed there but our manufacturer is very helpful in
giving us source access to all factory software, so hopefully we can
resolve this soon.

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com is up and will slowly carry more stuff.
Right now, most of the datasheets for the Ben NanoNote are already
there [2]. Also, Mirko Lindner uploaded Ben NanoNote design files at [3].
For example check this one out:
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/hardware/design/casing/casing.png

About the file formats - our goal is to have _ALL_ of our files public,
licensed under CC-BY-SA (for data files). The format will be the one
we are using to make edits in, or the one our vendors require us to send
to them, or both. In the case of the Ben NanoNote case design, for example,
we have the Adobe Illustrator files there (which is what Mirko is using
for edits and also what our manufacturer requires), as well as a PNG
version for easier viewing and commenting.

So much for this week, people are busy everywhere and if you want to
join, please come forward and offer your help, we need it all over the
place. We may extend our prototype program for people that want to do
some early hacking and blog about it...
cu next week,
Wolfgang

[1] http://lists.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/developer/2009-August/000175.html