question re Nanonote specs

Ignacio García Pérez iggarpe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:54:35 EDT 2009

> About 'same' SoC like Dingoo or not I'm not entirely sure.
> The wiki page you are linking to says Jz4732, in all my meetings at
> Ingenic headquarters in Beijing I never once heard them talking about
> a Jz4732. It's possible such a model number exists but I doubt it.
> It's a Chinese company, things are changing fast to go with market
> demands.

The SoC in the Dingoo A320 is marked as JZ4732, but it is identified by the
Ingenic code always as JZ4740 (same chip id). I might have read somewhere
that the JZ4732 was some sort of JZ4740 intended for export. Dunno if that's
true.

> The 4720 has the same die as the 4740, but different packaging (4720 = COB,
> 4740 = BGA). COB packaging means some pins are not connected, so I believe
> the NAND and/or memory bus is not the full width as the 4740.
> The 4740 was produced in two different processes until now (180nm and
> 160nm),
> the 160nm can run up to 384 MHz, the 180nm up to 360 MHz. The 4720 (which
> was only produced in 180nm) is specified up to 336 MHz.

Many users have reported stable operation of the A320 SoC at 430MHz, which
seems the maximum PLL output.

> In the end I think we all hope, including Ignacio from Dingux, that there
> is one strong kernel, ideally upstream, to get the most out of all variants
> of the XBurst chips. Like you said we would all benefit, Qi as well as
> Dingux. Then a lot of software could be shared, indeed.

As far as I know, what makes the difference with Ingenic is their released
information, and I believe the one most benefited from good linux support is
going to be Ingenic.

Nacho.