jz4725

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:23:02 EDT 2009

Wolfgang

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Wolfgang Spraul
<wolfgang at qi-hardware.com>wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> > I'm using a usbtool from
> > http://vm-kernel.org/blog/2009/02/24/linux-on-onda-vx747/
> > and i can run my own linux image and u-boot binary.
>
> Ah OK, that's from Yajin Zhou. His instructions tell you to press
> the 'M' key while pressing RESET to let the CPU boot over USB.
> How do you do this on the ID800WT?

I've already download a upgrade firmware from sungale, home-page:
http://www.sungalewifi.com/module/chapter/indexsungale.php

You can register on this page with the PF serial number

The upgrade file have a lot of files, u-boot, kernel image, usb tool for
config, etc.
There is a instruction doc and as a onda MP4, is necessary turn - off the
ID800WT, press the first button (the power button is the last) and pres the
power button again.  So you enter in usb mode. And you can use the usbtool
following the instructions on vm-kernel.org.

> > I found a serial port on the board, and the space for a max232 without
> the
> > RS232 outputs I'm attaching a picture, so I have a serial console.
>
> Your original attachment did not go through the list because of the 40 KB
> size limit, I hope you don't mind I uploaded it to
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/hardware/hacking/emqbit_sungale_picture_frame.jpg
> I think I can see that you soldered an additional chip to the U4 position,
> and did some manual rework to it?

Yes, my socket was empty, I have this chip, max3232 from Texas and I sold it
to the board with some resistors. and .1 capacitors, They use 5V  with in
the 4 pins socket at tje left side, and is necessary sold two resistor, the
max3232 is a 3.3V chip, and the JZ4740 serial lines are 3.3V too.

As I said the JZ4740 serial lines are connected to the max232 chip, but the
232 lines not, you can use the serial lines on the lft side four pinn
connector (next to U4, I dont remember the conector label) with an external
rs232 converter or you can make the rework show in the picture, I cut the
serial lines (3.3V) after 2 vias near to the top-left max3232 corner, this
vias make the JZ4740's serial lines and max3232 onnection. As you can see
there are two wires from this vias to the 4 pins connector, You can cut this
lines and sold the pins 8 and 9 o the max3232 to them, so you can have the
rs232 lines in the 4 pins connector.

> Interestingly, on my ID800WT U4 is totally empty
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/hardware/hacking/sun_4740_dpf_v3_1b.jpg
>
> BTW, my board is revision SUN-4740-DPF V3.1B 2009-3-13
> Which is yours?
> There seem to be a lot of development (?) connectors like J113. They
> probably
> have USB booting, serial console, JTAG etc. on those connectors somewhere.
> I will try to ask Sungale engineering again, but don't expect much there.
> Do you have an x-ray machine so you can follow traces through the PCB?

I think that with the serial port we can make a good development on this
ID800, the only trouble is the lack of a sd connector, The JZ4740 drives
directly a sd connector, but sungale use a multi-format reader card attached
to usb port, so you can use the sd but you need add the command:

rootdelay=8 in the u-boot's bootargs

> [...]
> me
> > :) My ID800WT arrived just the last week so, i doesn'y have enough time
> > play with it :)
> >
> > If you are working with the ID800WT - how did you get it reflashed?
> > > I was looking for a way to enable the USB Boot feature that is in the
> > > Jz4740 CPU but couldn't find documentation about the debug connector
> > > they have on the board. I'll try to take a picture later...
> >

> > I'm using a usbtool from
> > http://vm-kernel.org/blog/2009/02/24/linux-on-onda-vx747/
> >
> > and i can run my own linux image and u-boot binary. I found a serial port
> on
> > the board, and the space for a max232 without the RS232 outputs I'm
> > attaching a picture, so I have a serial console. Unfortunately the
> ID800WT
> > doesn't use the ingenic SD driver, they use a multi card chip attached to
> > usb port, so we can't use the fatload command. I think that the best way
> > re-flash this PF is via mtd tools running on Linux.
> >
> > I can't upload any file to the SDRAM, because I don't know the SDRAM
> layout,
> > if you can talk with sungale guys, can you ask them if is possible get a
> LCD
> > configuration?
> >

> > > Best Regards, thanks for letting us know about your project it's
> > > great to see there are other people working on similar stuff like
> > > we do! :-)
> > > Wolfgang
> > >

> > Thanks to you, your product is awasome, we want  work with this chip and
> > share the experiences with everyone  :)
> > Our company is very small and is very hard to us work with the local
> > companies, becouse they use a very old technology, is very good for us
> know
> > people like you, so you can help us  in our mission. We are a company
> > founded by academic people and the open projects are ideal for us, we can
> > teach to our students with updates tools and techologies, and contibute
> > our country development
> >
> > The system block my mail for the large image file, can you send me a
> private
> > mail and i send the picture cicamargoba at gmail dot com
> >
> > Thanks again
> >

> > Carlos

> Colombia,
> > > I'm
> JZ4725,
> Vx747
> > > and

> We
> > > can

> > --
> > Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
> > Profesor Asistente
> > Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica y Electrónica
> > Universidad Nacional de Colombia
> > cicamargoba at unal.edu.co
> >

> > --
> > Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
> > Profesor Asistente
> > Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica y Electrónica

Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
Profesor Asistente
Universidad Nacional de Colombia
cicamargoba at unal.edu.co