Debian on the Ben NanoNote?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sun Aug 23 23:46:53 EDT 2009

Uwe,
thanks a lot for joining, yes we do need help with Debian and highly
appreciate your offer. Maybe Mirko can get in touch with your with
regards to an early-access device...

> Oh, and thanks, not only for creating a truly Open Hardware and Free Software
> device where schematics and PCB layouts and software are properly
> licensed, but also for using Free Software tools for the designs (KiCAD,
> HeeksCAD, etc). This is one area where many other "Open Hardware"
> projects fuck up the whole nice project by using closed-source tools
> such as EAGLE, OrCAD, SolidWorks, and so on.

YES! We work so hard on that ;-)
It's the toughest part also, and to be real, we are not there yet. The
schematics are in KiCAD at github, but when it came to producing boards our
partners insisted on OrCAD and PADS Layout so the layout is only in those
proprietary formats right now (licensed under CC-BY-SA of course).
Rest assured that we are looking for new production partners...
HeeksCAD efforts haven't even started yet, there are too many features
missing in HeeksCAD for mass-production plastic injection use.

But definitely tools is one area where we (Qi Hardware) know for sure
we have to get it right to be successful in the long run. You cannot
just open at the surface, and leave the underlying processes and tools
closed. Maybe it works for a one-off product, but it definitely doesn't
work for a company or to create a real derivative market like Arduino
did.

Wolfgang