Using the keyboard to enable USB booting

Adam Wang adam at qi-hardware.com
Thu Aug 27 23:29:47 EDT 2009

Hi Carlos,

Carlos Camargo wrote:
> Reading the Jz4720 chip, I can see that all GPIOs have an internal
> Pull-up resistor enabled at reset.
>
> So, We need probe some Resistor values, if with a 330 resistor from
> KIN3 to GROUND the processor enter in USB mode, you can try with 2k,
> 10k, etc

I tried:

_resistor from KIN3 to GND      Can USB boot or not while power on
                     Keys work well_
a) 2.4K                                        Can
                                              fail
b) 10K                                         Can
                                                 fail

c)  12.4K                                      Can not
                                             unstable
d)  20K                                         Can not
                                             unstable

a) & b) I measured the KEYOUT7 have a high pulse with 50us in 16.6KHz
frequency while don't push "u" key.
In fact, the scan frequency should show up only when you push keys.

_c) & d)_ same as _a) & b_) but both they of course have different
voltages(0.5V and 1.6V for example).

Under 0.8V the KEYIN3 will recognize it's in low level, but even if
choose lower resistor will let usb boot successfully but can not
detect a normal key pushing.

Do you think if i make a circuit to meet the BOOT_SEL1 its IO Schmitt
trig level (0.88~0.99V, 1.44~1.56V) and also meet GPIO's pull-up
resistor can
solve this kind boundary situation?
Thanks,
Adam