What GUI system on nanoben?

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 04:01:21 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Steve Mosher<steve at qi-hardware.com> wrote:
> open to suggestions

I'd like to see a Qt based Desktop Environment, that's for some reasons:

*) it's STABLE, and has professional support
*) it builds and runs everywhere
*) trolls care of Embedded/mobile device is growing fast (before for
qtopia, now for qt on symbian)
*) next Maemo will be Qt based
*) the new LGPL licence is attracting a lot of developers
*) it's C++, so maintaining large modular project is more natural.
*) and underground developers community is borning and growing (see
openmoko recent threads about litemoko, litephone, qalee, opendesk,
etc.)
*) ...

About the window management (if adopting X), I'd like to see legacy
and *stable* software, In the latest weeks I just did some test about
Matchbox enhanced window manager hints and was able to "simulate" the
drop down animated illume top bar easily.
So I think with the right tricks it may be possible to have a nice and
attracting DE without bet on unreleased software.

Regards

    Nicola