SD format Zigbee card ...

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:56:29 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Wolfgang Spraul
<wolfgang at qi-hardware.com> wrote:
> Richard,
> great to see you here and that you are interested in ZigBee!
>
>> Don't know, and that card is a MiniSD card. I have subsequently found
>> some MicroSD Zigbee cards, but don't have pricing.
>
> Which cards have you found?

I think it was the SpecTec card, the SDZ 537 you mention.

> I have done some preparatory work on ZigBee, but it's currently on hold
> because we are focusing on getting the actual device out :-)
>
> The manufacturer we worked with is Spectec in Taipei (www.spectec.com.tw).
> On their website they have lots of microSD cards, Wi-Fi, ZigBee, NFC/RFID.
> However, you have to be careful what's really available.
> After 4 months of being unavailable, the Wi-Fi card SDW-823 is available again.
> The ZigBee card (SDZ-537) will supposedly ship very soon.
> One of their big retailers is Expansys (www.expansys.com), so if you want to
> find out quickly what's really available, search for 'spectec' at
> www.expansys.com.
>
> Regarding price - if we get the Wi-Fi card SDW-823 to work really well in the
> NanoNotes, we will order a larger quantity and sell more or less at cost in
> our store. We are still ramping up the whole NanoNote ecosystem...
>
> Back to ZigBee.
> Spectec will come out with this ZigBee card SDZ-537 very soon.
> Unfortunately they are not using standard SDIO, because many devices and OSes
> don't support SDIO very well. That's what limited sales of the Wi-Fi card
> SDW-823, for example (that one is using real SDIO).
> For their new cards like the ZigBee card, they are using standard SD read/write
> operations, not SDIO.
> It's probably relatively easy to support but still one needs to know how they
> wrap the data into read/write blocks.
> So Spectec offers a 1000 USD ZigBee 'development kit' that contains 2 ZigBee
> microSD cards plus sample code for the SD read/write operations.
> They are using a TI CC2530 ZigBee chip, see datasheet at
> http://www.ti.com/ww/en/analog/cc2530/index.shtml?DCMP=hpa_rf_cc2530&HQS=NotApplicable+PA+cc2530

Ahhh, OK. The chip datasheet will be interesting.

>From a Linux point of view the sample code might not be that useful
... and $1KUSD sounds expensive, however, I just purchased a PCIe FPGA
card to experiment with that was around $700 and have been thinking of
buying some Qlogic FC cards that will cost around that on Ebay as
well.

> What should we do? If you are interested in some ZigBee hacking, I can put
> a package together for you. You would probably need at least one NanoNote,
> and 2 ZigBee cards?
> I guess I would have to buy the 1000 USD devkit.

I am interested. Let me look at the datasheet and see what it looks like.

> What do you think? Is anybody else interested in ZigBee? Can you or someone
> else share some of the costs?
> Is there another microSD ZigBee card with already proven Linux support?
>
> Hope this helps, let me know what you want to do,
> Wolfgang
>
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:54:32AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > How much does the Spectec Zigbee sd card cost?
>> >
>> > For that matter, how about the wifi card
>> > from same outfit that somebody is already hacking on.
>>
>> Don't know, and that card is a MiniSD card. I have subsequently found
>> some MicroSD Zigbee cards, but don't have pricing.
>>
>> Could be more than the Nanonote itself.
>>
>> > ---
>> > Ron K. Jeffries
>> > http://blog.eronj.com