payment gateway

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Dec 4 22:28:47 EST 2009

Polossatik,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

> Just fyi: with paypal do check upfront with them, the pandora team had big
> problems with paypal and pre-ordering and had to refund all pre-orders done
> trough paypal, it looks like you can only use paypal to pay when the HW
> actually is shipping.

I am wondering what is going on there. They accepted pre-orders over one year
ago and are still not shipping? I love the Pandora project, and follow their
blog on our planet, but it seems they are really struggling. I hope they
can make it! If the hardware would be more open we could even offer some help
on the manufacturing side, if they wanted to...

For us, I can guarantee you we will never ever accept pre-orders.
I am in business long enough to know that that _ALWAYS_ creates big problems
and _SOMETIMES_ can destroy a startup.
So the NanoNotes will be produced, then they will go to our fulfillment center,
then we will make some test orders, and when all that works our store opens :-)

> Paypal IMHO has managed to build some kind of "trust" for most people,
> meaning people are less reluctant to pay using paypal then a system like
> "RBS WorldPay" they don't know. Might be usefull , certainly in the
> beginning.

No worries, the RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) is one of the largest banks in
the world. Actually just read on Wikipedia that they are printing money! :-)
(man - how can we be allowed to do that?!)
Anyway, the reason we share such background information publicly is that we
hope it will help other projects who want to do open devices.
"RBS WorldPay" is just a payment gateway, when you go to our shop you will
never even notice that the payments get processed by RBS. You will just
enter your credit card information...

We are going through the hassles of setting up our own online shop, payment
gateways and fulfillment so that we are more flexible to provide exactly
what is needed by our partners who may be distributors, or repair centers
needing components, or recycling services...
First step is to be able to accept 'normal' credit cards like VISA and
MasterCard, as well as direct wire transfers.
After that we will try to offer options like PayPal and other card schemes,
maybe Maestro, SEPA wires, etc.

Another thing that is important to us is safety and privacy, so we do not
want to keep records of credit cards or other payment data.
In our shop, you will be able to purchase goods without creating an account,
just enter all your data, we send the payment related information on to our
payment gateway providers immediately, and it will never even be stored on
our servers. Even if you create an account payment related information will
never be stored on our servers.
Companies like PayPal operate totally differently, they want to create an
ongoing financial relationship with you, keep your data, etc.
But if they provide good services to people of course in turn we want to
serve our customers so we will accept whatever our customers want.

Does all this make sense? Credit card and wire transfers first, the rest
asap... And in all this we have our principles for example to not store
payment information on our servers... :-)
Wolfgang