SD format Zigbee card (GPL conflict?)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Dec 12 23:26:13 EST 2009

sjl,

> According to what I've read, it is probably not possible to write
> *any* GPL zigbee code due to zigbee spec licensing terms:
> http://freaklabs.org/index.php/Blog/Zigbee/Page-2.html

This article is a bit old, I'm wondering whether anything has happened since
then. The author of this article (who btw made a lot of assumptions himself),
has since solved his problem by switching to the BSD license and making the
ZigBee stack subject to the ZigBee Terms of Use (exluding commercial products
I would think).

http://freaklabs.org/index.php/Blog/FreakZ/Action-Talks-and-Bullshit-Walks-FreakZ-Licensing-Changing-to-Mod-BSD.html

It's funny the comments on that page are saying MontaVista got a cease-and-desist
letter from the SD forum in 2004 for writing a SD GPL stack, 3 years later the
SD forum changed their policies and now everybody is using the stack.
I am wondering what games Certicom with their Certicom license and the
'Smart Energy' profile are playing in ZigBee. I don't understand enough about
the different ZigBee 'profiles', interoperability etc right now.

The best would be if the ZigBee Alliance would come forward with a statement
on GPL development. Have they done it since then? Several GPL-licensed ZigBee
projects are already underway.
My personal opinion is that as long as I am not using the ZigBee spec, I
can take ZigBee GPL sources and build a product out of them without
violating anybody's license.
The ZigBee Alliance should either introduce a new membership level without
a yearly fee (that would probably remove the alleged GPL incompatibility),
and/or switch to a model where they make money from use of their logos, same
as USB for example. But that's up to them, of course.

Meanwhile, ZigBee is just a set of protocols, based on IEEE 802.15.4.
Other protocols are WirelessHART or MiWi.
I don't know whether the SDZ-537 microSD card we are talking about here could
be reprogrammed into a WirelessHART card, or whether the WirelessHART specs are
any better in terms of GPL compatibility than the ZigBee specs.
TI released a number of source codes but afaik the licenses of some of those
sources are also not fully clear, at least if you think about it long enough :-)

This is all I know right now, let's see what further work reveals...
Wolfgang