Nano extension board

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:34:23 EST 2009

We are thinking (Wolfgang, Adam and me) in design and build an extension
board for Nano. Our first approach will be using the USB port. The main goal
for this project is provide an interface with the real world, allowing
applications in robotics, data acquisition, etc.

This board must be very flexible and totally configurable from Nano (no
external configuration pins, or external applications running on PCs)
because of that we are evaluating some microcontrollers with ISP through USB
port. There are 2 possibilities

[1] ATMEL  microcontroller
[2] Cypress microcontroller

Both can be programmed with SDCC [3] the main difference between this
options is the speed, the Cypress microcontroller is very fast.

We are planning use an FPGA, This FPGA will be programed by the
microcontroller.

Carlos

[1] http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4337.pdf
[2] http://www.cypress.com/?rID=38801