[Company] Weekly Operations Update 48 and 49/2009

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Tue Dec 15 12:38:53 EST 2009

Hi,

---1 uploads to our servers means agreeing to CC-BY-SA
More people are joining and getting commit and upload access to our servers.
Just a reminder - uploading files to downloads.qi-hardware.com means agreeing
to licensing these files under CC-BY-SA. If you don't like that please bring
it up on the list or in private.

---2 new Ben images
The quality of our Ben software images gets better. You can find the latest at
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/Ben_NanoNote_2GB_NAND/
(well not right now, we are fixing an MP3 issue see below...)
We are slowly adding more packages to the pre-installed set, last time I
checked there were 101 packages in our default image (including libraries).
You can find out which packages are included by looking at the opkg status
file inside the rootfs. For example inside the tarball
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/Ben_NanoNote_2GB_NAND/latest/openwrt-xburst-rootfs.tgz
look at usr/lib/opkg/status.

Here's the current list:

Package: base-files
Package: libc
Package: libgcc
Package: libstdcpp
Package: libpthread
Package: librt
Package: busybox
Package: dropbear
Package: e2fsprogs
Package: libuuid
Package: uuidgen
Package: libblkid
Package: libext2fs
Package: gnome-icon-theme
Package: hicolor-icon-theme
Package: alsa-lib
Package: alsa-utils
Package: atk
Package: bash
Package: bc
Package: bzip2
Package: cairo
Package: cairomm
Package: curl
Package: libcurl
Package: libdbus
Package: dbus
Package: libdbus-glib
Package: dejavu-fonts-ttf
Package: mkdosfs
Package: libexpat
Package: libflac
Package: fontconfig
Package: libfreetype
Package: libgconf2
Package: libintl
Package: glib1
Package: glib2
Package: glibmm
Package: gtk2
Package: gtkhtml
Package: gtkmm
Package: gtkperf
Package: irssi-openssl
Package: libjpeg
Package: lftp
Package: libIDL2
Package: DirectFB
Package: libiconv
Package: libid3tag
Package: libmad
Package: libmms
Package: libpng
Package: libsigcxx
Package: libvorbisidec
Package: libxml2
Package: lsof
Package: mc
Package: minicom
Package: mpc
Package: mpd
Package: ntpclient
Package: ntpdate
Package: orbit2
Package: pango
Package: pangomm
Package: pixman
Package: pwgen
Package: screen
Package: strace
Package: libtiff
Package: uclibcxx
Package: unzip
Package: vim-full
Package: zip
Package: cxxtools
Package: lynx
Package: ncmpc
Package: tntnet
Package: vido
Package: zimlib
Package: zimreader
Package: gdbserver
Package: gpioctl
Package: hotplug2
Package: kernel
Package: libreadline
Package: liblua
Package: lua
Package: mtd
Package: libncurses
Package: libopenssl
Package: opkg
Package: uci
Package: libuci
Package: libuci-lua
Package: ucitrigger
Package: udevtrigger
Package: fdisk
Package: cfdisk
Package: zlib

---3 MP3 and MP4
I need to say it again - we absolutely have to remove any possibility to
play MP3 (and to be safe MP4 as well) from our images and package repositories.
Our last image was able to play MP3 files! Please everybody who uploads
packages or images to our servers, or writes instructions on the wiki, help
us and share the responsibility of keeping this stuff out.

---4 Ingenic SVN updates stopped
Ingenic's internal SVN server's RAID array broke 3 weeks ago (at least that's
the story they sold to us), and since then we are getting a mixture of weird
new excuses and stories every week for why it's still not back up.
Supposedly they even restored sources from our mirror server to be able to
somehow continue to work internally!
Anyway the simple news right now is that Ingenic's Linux updates have stopped.
I _THINK_ this is not on purpose, maybe just some ignorance, so we will try to
get it back up and running asap.

---5 Arduino
Carlos proposed a new expansion board around an FPGA, and we started discussing
how this could co-work with Arduinos. There are no technical summaries or
decisions to report yet, it's all just discussions, but it's already clear that
we are very interested to understand how NanoNotes, Arduinos, expansion
boards and shields, can work together in the smartest possible way.
I may also point to the Milkymist SoC (www.milkymist.org), a very interesting
project IMO that may also be thrown into the mix at some point...

So much for now, maybe Jon has a few more things to add from his travels
around the globe...? :-)
Wolfgang