Arduino interface ( was USB-FPGA-NanoNote Expansion Board)

Polossatik polossatik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:28:27 EST 2009

Hello,

I've given the "Arduino" side a few more toughts, I'm only hammering
on those Arduino shields seen the huge "eco" system around the Arduino
that has materialized, maybe there are other/better/similar
alternatives but I don't know them (yet). It just seams to be the most
popular entry point of people who want to start mess around with
µcontrollers.

So i would consider from H/W perspective the Arduino shields the
biggest incentive for the Arduino "interface" (same headers and
electric behavior).

However making an "arduino" interface (meaning having a actual arduino
/ Atmel µcontroller) would not turn out to be so different from simply
hooking up an actual Arduino board to the usb port, so in that case it
maybe makes not much sense to make an other Arduino "clone" board.
There are already plenty of those on the market for around 20 usd.

Making a cheap pcb that can accept existing Arduino shields without a
atmel "on board"is only cost effective when this is really cheap
compared to using an actual arduino board.
Seen the fact an Arduino board cost about 20usd I doubt it however if
the cost saving would be significant (I doubt it will be a 5 usd
board) much, not yet speaking about the software side story...

So for a "real/only" HW arduino interface I doubt it actually makes
sense to make that.

The software side however might be interesting, seen the nanonote IMHO
is not really good to port the Arduino IDE to, maybe considering as a
first step something that simply passes on all the I/o from the
Arduino to the Nanonote side? Essentially making any Arduino board an
I/O slave for the Nanonote. not sure how feasable this is, just a
tought,

Gunther