[Company] Weekly Operations Update 50/2009

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Wed Dec 23 18:06:31 EST 2009

2009/12/23 Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc>:
> Hi,
>
> ---1 software focus
> Now that our first real software images are released, we decided to focus on
> the following three applications until they work really well:
>
> 1. StarDict
> dictionary
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardict
>
> 2. vido
> wiki viewer (openzim based)
> http://projects.qi-hardware.com/p/vido/
>
> 3. pimlico
> PIM suite
> http://www.pimlico-project.org
>
> All three are GTK apps, let's hope we can actually make them work well on
> a 32 MB RAM device...
> Of course we also will pay attention to any prerequisites, such as boot time,
> stable kernel and power consumption.
> We know our list may not fulfill everybody's wishes, there's also those that
> want to have a good music player, ebook reader, text editor, game player,
> calculator, image viewer, and so on. But I think the consensus is that focus
> is really important in our project, so we picked the above 3 apps.
> Of course contributions in other areas are more then welcome. We will include
> any free software that works really well in our image. Just start hacking!
<snip>
Totally agree in focus on this apps, as start. Let ,us, the community
try and test other options ;)

I'm just bit  worried about pimlico apps, seems ok, better said great,
but sync seems totally abandoned... , nevertheless I think I will be
more focused in the vido development/testing and generating content to
it., by the way any clear guide in how to generate this content (zim
files) ? http://openzim.org/Build_your_ZIM_file,  is all but a clear
guide :P, did you find anything better to follow?