I got my Ben NanoNote

Atommann atommann at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 10:22:18 EST 2009

Dear all,

First of all, thanks for the warm replies.

2009/12/26 Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc>:
> Cool, thanks.
> I think we have settled on a set of web services now to go into next year with,
> and the wiki will play a very central role.
> So we have to spend more time to cleanup the homepage, categorize pages,
> better indices, better translations, etc.
> Feel free to edit anything! :-)

OK.

> What a story! Yes, a lot of us have quite an odyssey behind us in terms of
> free EDA tools. I started out managing teams (not working myself, I'm not an
> EE) that worked with PADS Layout, later also an Eagle project, then KiCAD.
> Also a bit of Altium Designer.
>
> Have you heard about Fedora Electronic Lab?
> It's more geared towards ASIC design not PCB/schematics, but still they are
> trying to assemble free EDA tools in one place so I believe could be
> interesting for you
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/

I did not heard the Fedora Electronics Lab before.
Thanks for the informations, I'll check out the details.

> I am open minded towards gEDA, it's GPL so that's good. There seems to be some
> active development there now, same as with KiCAD. Actually on KiCAD's wishlist
> there is 'gEDA integration' somewhere I believe.

You are right, someone talked the 'gEDA integration' issue in the mailing list.

> However, we are quite deep into KiCAD at this point so we rather try to fix it's
> weaknesses than consider a switch.

That's right.

> Yes I've heard that before. Do you think we can improve this?

As I am not deep into the KiCAD project, so I can't answer this question :)
Maybe the KiCAD community already talked about this question, we can
google it for more infos.

> Wonderful! If you like, we should meet next time I'm in Shenzhen...

That's good! And you can also meet the guys from szlug (Shenzhen Linux
and Unix User Group) then.

--
Best regards,
Atommann