features of Ya?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Mon Jul 20 01:18:46 EDT 2009

Yajin,
thanks for your excellent list. That is exactly the type of input Steve
is looking for to define our open roadmap.
Let me just add a few more things we have been looking at:

WiFi:

1. Marvell 8686 od 8688 (incl. Bluetooth)
Some people are saying the Bluetooth in 8688 doesn't 'work right'. Not sure
how true that is but we need to try.
Main point is that the libertas driver is in good shape upstream, Marvell
has their own people working on the driver. Downside is no further libertastf
or even support of totally free firmwares.
We have several module makers we could work with.

2. Atheros AR5007UG (former Zydas 1211)
It seems the Atheros mobile group (6xxx products) is unable to provide
drivers that will ever make it upstream, or are upgradeable, etc.
Whereas the 5 and 9 groups seem to be much better. Strange but that's
what we found.
There is an old driver for this Zydas chip in upstream Linux already
http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/zd1211rw
Question is whether we can find a module suited for a mobile device,
with good power consumption etc.

3. Renesas Keystream KS7010
Just visited them last week, they have a 100% GPL driver, but it's a bit
hard to get it. We are currently in the process of going through the paperwork
with Renesas to get the driver. If we do it would be another Wi-Fi option
with modules from Renesas and Sharp (Sharp including STMicro Bluetooth).

GPS:

u-blox 5 AMY module
We could reuse a lot of software that was written for the Freerunner.
Also I think good (valuable) GPS applications are fairly easy to write,
whereas 'good' applications for the other RFs are harder.

Screen: Bigger screen but without changing case dimensions.

For 3G, do you have a suggestion?
I've heard about Simtec, Telit, Option. Others?

What do you mean with 'QWERT' keyboard?
Have you seen the keyboard of the Ben NanoNote? I think it's a pretty
full functional keyboard. What exactly would you change?

Wolfgang