upstream kernel

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at qi-hardware.com
Tue Jul 21 09:38:06 EDT 2009

Hi yi
can you review the Chinese translate. see if there is something not
good. :-)

----------------------
Our kernel approach has two objectives. A stable kernel so that
applications can be written and users can enjoy our products today, and
upstreaming our kernel so our hardware becomes a maintainable piece of
hardware that can benefit from the latest software updates and bug fixes
for many years to come.

The stable kernel and drivers will initially come from semiconductor
companies, choosen for the quality of their linux support.
Ideally we will work on joint reference platforms with chip vendors to
address upstream requirements from day one.

At all times we will maintain a fully regression tested kernel while we
push that kernel upstream. We will work with our manufacturing partners
on a joint suite of unit tests to be used both in production testing as
well as regression testing. This will significantly reduce costs, allow
new kernels to be introduced into production images, and assist our
ongoing upstreaming effort.
Upstreaming is tedious work and progress is often slow. Quality
standards are high and architectural changes may be necessary for
peaceful coexistance with other devices and platforms.
We believe the Linux kernel community has done a marvelous job in making
hardware maintainable and usable for the long run, so we are prepared to
go the extra mile - submit patches, accept feedback, prepare for merge
windows, and so on.
In the embedded world a kernel just needs to work. At Qi Hardware it
needs to live.

我们的内核工件里有两个目标。一个是稳定的内核,可以在上边编写程序并且可以
为最终的用户使用,另外一个是上游版本的内核,这样使我们的硬件可以受益于最
新的软件升级和补丁。

稳定的内核和驱动程序最初来自芯片公司,选择自他们支持的稳定的 Linux 内核。
理想(情况下)从第一天开始,我们将加入集成电路供应商提供的平台,以解决上
游需求。

在任何时候,我们将保持上游内核有一个完整的回归。我们将与我们的合作厂商联
合做一套单元测试,用于生产测试以及回归测试。这将大大降低成本,允许新的内