Including Qi in OpenWrt trunk

Florian Fainelli florian at openwrt.org
Tue Jul 21 15:03:05 EDT 2009

Hi all,

We exchanged some emails with Wolfgang and it seemed appropriate to give a
couple of hints on how to minimize the OpenWrt integration effort. Since
Qi-hardware is likely to be shipped with OpenWrt (correct me if I am wrong)
it makes sense to have the hardware target supported by OpenWrt directly and
add maintain the user-space software separately as a start offloading you
from the build environment.

The repository available at github.com/lindnermarek is cloning a git tree
containing the OpenWrt trunk Subversion. We try to follow as close as
possible the stable kernel releases, but everytime a kernel version is no
longer in use by a target in OpenWrt we remove support for it (like it
happened recently for 2.6.29), breaking other projects using that particular
version.

In order to avoid such problems, I would recommend following as close as
possible the kernel version related changesets in the OpenWrt trunk to know
when it can break and update to the latest available kernel version as soon
as possible.

That way, you can still maintain the required kernel version and associated
files to get your previous kernel version built, as well as testing the new
stable kernel.
--
Best regards, Florian Fainelli
Email: florian at openwrt.org