[Chinese] some ideas from Luther

W.G. van de Hulst suyckerbol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:48:19 EDT 2009

Well, I don't really understand Chinese, but that has never stopped me before...

The gist is doing a small run for a vertical market, using ad hoc
software/hardware, avoiding GPRS or WiFi because it's too expensive,
but still needing connectivity.

So, as we become disappointed with bluetooth and wifi for various
reasons, we might perhaps take a look again at the humble infrared:
very cheap transceivers, requires less energy than BT?, no problems
with open software or RF certification. You can still buy IR
keyboards, headsets, etc and there are plans for 1 Gbps.

If line of sight is a problem, then Zigbee might be interesting
(low-power between IR and BT?, low speed but still enough for
speech?). I have been reading a bit about it on freaklabs.org (open
software stack) and it might be possible to fit in one of those Atmel
chips?

http://freaklabs.org/index.php/Articles/Zigbee/atmel-at86rf230_231-review.html