Community Driven low level programming

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sun Jul 26 08:08:38 EDT 2009

Jami,
your question is not out of place at all, thanks a lot for asking.

> I wonder if the low level software development (boot loader and
> kernel) is only for qi-hardware core members, or otherwise is possible
> the participation for contributors.

Oh yes, definitely. Steve did not want to imply that community members
cannot work on boot loader and kernel. Quite the opposite. We are all
community, I hope.
The point was that in the long run, we hope individuals and businesses
around us can find a way to use the openness of our devices to reach their
own customers. Since Qi is all about open technology, there is no point
in us competing with our own customers.
But we are not that far yet, so it's all just a theoretical discussion right
now.

Our short-term goal is to lower the barrier for development as much as possible.
We have chosen OpenWrt as the initial way we do software development ourselves.
Once we get the basics in place, some people will probably want to use Debian
for maximum flexibility.

The Qi OpenWrt tree is at
http://github.com/lindnermarek/openwrt-x-burst/tree/x-burst
(we will move to a git.qi-hardware.com later)

The OpenWrt tree contains the patches to upstream u-boot and Linux kernel.

Qi u-boot patches (currently based on 20090707) are inside the OpenWrt tree in
the 'target/linux/xburst/image/u-boot/patches/' directory.
http://github.com/lindnermarek/openwrt-x-burst/tree/66b57b87e63174fc6e493abe2982df9e11d1d4ec/target/linux/xburst/image/u-boot/patches

Qi kernel patches (currently based on 2.6.28) are in the
'target/linux/xburst/patches-2.6.28' directory.
http://github.com/lindnermarek/openwrt-x-burst/tree/66b57b87e63174fc6e493abe2982df9e11d1d4ec/target/linux/xburst/patches-2.6.28

So anybody who wants to help u-boot or kernel development, they need to get the
OpenWrt tree, and then send us patches against that tree (either adding new
u-boot or Linux patches, or diffs against those patches).
We are also handing out write permissions to the repository once you have sent
a good patch or two.

Problem is - no shipping devices right now!
We have a few boards from the device we are basing ours on, but it's not the
final hardware, and it's not easy to ship it because lack of CE/FCC
certification.

So I'm very excited that you want to help, but I think you need to wait maybe
another 2 months or so until the Ben NanoNote is shipping.

> Is it possible to acquire any kind of NanoNote development version?

There are no specific development versions, all of our products are equally
hackable. We are trying to get them into our store and shipping asap.

Hope this helps,
Wolfgang