[Company] Weekly Operations Update 30/2009

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Mon Jul 27 12:36:56 EDT 2009

Hi,
last week we went live with our copyleft hardware project, Qi Hardware.
See the article at [1].
Thanks to the wonderful launch and all the people that have joined in various
ways already. We have about 60 subscribers on this developer list now, about
40 on the announce list. Little compared to our former home at Openmoko, but
we are just starting... Keep talking to your friends about joining!

What happened last week:

*) Monday was the publication date of our launch article, and a big thread
started on the Openmoko community list [2]. My most favorite comment was 'more
hackable, more wearable'. That's exactly what we hope Qi will deliver over time.

*) Tuesday I had a meeting with Ingenic senior management to lobby them to
open up more documentation. We got positive feedback, let's see whether it
translates into real action.

*) A number of interesting proposals came in, Meng Qingyou starting a global
offline OpenStreetMap application, Deng Ya Nuo interested in doing open FPGA
work.

*) Xiangfu can now boot his prototype board into console mode using a Linux
2.6.24 kernel. We continue working in the OpenWrt tree at [3], hope to be able
to boot using a more recent 2.6.28 kernel soon.

We have a huge TODO list going forward, more community resources (git,
trac, etc), mechanical samples, reflash station for the factory, CE & FCC
certification, etc. I will post what really got done next week...

I will use the weekly updates also to talk about more general things that are
not directly related to what was going on the week before.
Today a few words about our open BOM & vendors contacts:

Our electrical design at [4] is completely open. However if you look at the
files closely, you will notice that while we list our vendors with their
company name, the contact information of the individual people working on our
project (name, email address, phone number) is missing, there is only a key
(Vendor Contact - VC1, VC2, etc) pointing to a file that is not public.
Same will be true for other vendors we work with, manufacturing, mechanical,
certification, etc.

Our policy is to disclose the names of the companies we work with publicly,
more detailed (individual) contact information only upon request.
The problem is that we need to respect the privacy of the vendors we work with.
We wouldn't want to publish individual names and phone numbers on the web,
someone could do all sorts of malicious things with this information, calling
those people pretending to be from Qi Hardware, etc.

However, we do encourage other people to reuse our designs, and I think one
effective way to do that is to work with the same vendors as we do.
So we will disclose individual contact information to help others make their
own hardware once we know about your project, and once we have checked back
with the vendors that it's OK to pass contact information on to you.

Hope this is acceptable, there cannot be a 'derivative' design for a while
anyway, since we haven't even launched our own first design yet :-)
Just wanted to clarify this important point.

Have fun everybody, cu next week,
Wolfgang

[1] http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mids/29263-openmoko-layoffs-lead-to-new-open-hardware-venture
[2] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2009-July/051626.html