Ya (or Mu suggestions)

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 06:16:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:28, Wolfgang Spraul<wolfgang at qi-hardware.com> wrote:
> Peter,
> thanks for your excellent mail!
> I think many people feel like you, we will collect all the various improvement
> ideas for Ya on the product page, then let's decide later what we will really
> build.
>
> One thing about Bluetooth - I keep hearing it's very power hungry, startup
> times from sleep are slow (3 seconds), etc.
> There seems to be something new called 'ZigBee'.
> Does anybody know more about it?
> http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigbee
> Spectec will come out with a microSD ZigBee card (using TI 2450) soon,
> depending on how open this all is, Linux driver status etc. it could be
> interesting.
>
> Wolfgang
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:53:54AM +0200, Peter Malte Mack wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all to introduce myself: I am a guy who has been Openmoko from the
>> very beginnings, likes the general idea of mobile computing and believes in
>> openness - though i have to add, that i am really bad at programming and no
>> computer scientist - more the user, besides that i´ ve been blogging [1]
>> about linux on mobile devices more or less frequently for some time - but i
>> am not used to posting to lists like this one.
>>
>> Looking at the Ben, which is of course only a start, i like the form factor
>> and, as i write frequently and almost everywhere (==on the go) the fact that
>> the Ben NanoNote has a keyboard which looks pretty usable. Reading the
>> specsheet I was pretty disappointed first, but understanding that it is just
>> a start, it is ok - besides that I like the idea of leaving distributions to
>> the community - a good idea after all the struggle OM has (had) with it.
>>
>> There´ve been lots of proposals to this list, and even though the Ben could
>> yet serve as offline wikipedia, media player, gameboy or organizer device, I
>> believe connectivity is important nowadays (think of all this marketing
>> around cloud computing, it makes people believe that they absolutely need to
>> be connected everywhere, be it to twitter the weather) - and, even though it
>> makes the device more pricey, i believe that one should not wait to long
>> before one adds connectivity.
>>
>> Besides connectivity is needed (first sth like wifi or just bt (to be able
>> to connect a cellphone for internet access)) and more RAM is always nice, i
>> think expandability would make this device (small as it is) more
>> interesting. Therefore I would recommend to add USB Host and, if possible, a
>> second (micro)SD slot (maybe instead of that big NAND chip?), to be able to
>> have storage and SDIO...
>>
>> A expandable device btw offers another, additional kind of openness.. ;)
>>
>> Knowing that you want to go a way of small steps, maybe add BT and USBhost
>> first, and then go on -  - one could add BT and USBhost by adding a normal,
>> powered, female USB A port at the back of the Ya NanoNote and delivering the
> [...]

If we're talking about internet connectivity of such mobile device,
then Bluetooth isn't good idea. Where would you like to use BT as
internet connection? In home? Well, in home you can use PC to connect
with internet. Outside? You'll have to have your laptop with WiFi (or
something else) connection and bluetooth to share it with NanoNote.

I have Freerunner, and I didn't use bluetooth yet at all (except one
day experimenting with BlueMoko). My WiFi router has Bluetooth
connection option, but it's crappy, unstable, with little strength
signal and really slow comparing to WiFi. I would really like to have
WiFi module in Ya NanoNote. It's power-hungry? Why not just power it
off when it's unneeded? :)

I think WiFi and USB host are the most wanted features in future
NanoNotes. In my personal "i want to" list I have also 640x480 screen
and maybe touchscreen, but I understand having everything everyone
wants in device is impossible and very expensive ;)

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos