Ya (or Mu suggestions)

Steve Mosher steve at qi-hardware.com
Thu Jul 30 14:27:09 EDT 2009

inlined.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Peter Malte Mack <
mack.petermalte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first of all to introduce myself: I am a guy who has been Openmoko from the
> very beginnings, likes the general idea of mobile computing and believes in
> openness - though i have to add, that i am really bad at programming and no
> computer scientist - more the user, besides that i´ ve been blogging [1]
> about linux on mobile devices more or less frequently for some time - but i
> am not used to posting to lists like this one.

  Understood, you can also post comments to the blog.

> Looking at the Ben, which is of course only a start, i like the form factor
> and, as i write frequently and almost everywhere (==on the go) the fact that
> the Ben NanoNote has a keyboard which looks pretty usable. Reading the
> specsheet I was pretty disappointed first, but understanding that it is just
> a start, it is ok - besides that I like the idea of leaving distributions to
> the community - a good idea after all the struggle OM has (had) with it.

> There´ve been lots of proposals to this list, and even though the Ben could
> yet serve as offline wikipedia, media player, gameboy or organizer device, I
> believe connectivity is important nowadays (think of all this marketing
> around cloud computing, it makes people believe that they absolutely need to
> be connected everywhere, be it to twitter the weather) - and, even though it
> makes the device more pricey, i believe that one should not wait to long
> before one adds connectivity.

  We agree 100%. That said we needed to pick a starting point with stable
hardware.

> Besides connectivity is needed (first sth like wifi or just bt (to be able
> to connect a cellphone for internet access)) and more RAM is always nice, i
> think expandability would make this device (small as it is) more
> interesting. Therefore I would recommend to add USB Host and, if possible, a
> second (micro)SD slot (maybe instead of that big NAND chip?), to be able to
> have storage and SDIO...

   yes. We are in the process of adding USBhost, WRT RAM we'll look at
boosting that to 8GB.
   I also like a second SDIO. we've found peripherals ( GPS, WIFI, CAmera)
that all plug into
   the slot.