GPS uSD? they exist?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Tue Nov 10 10:09:58 EST 2009

David,

> I believe spetec can be a great partner to Qi-hardware they has the
> best offer an variety of sdio I have seen.

We know Spectec very well and have ongoing conversations with them.
Unfortunately their website is confusing, tech specs may be incomplete.
Products are listed but either not yet available or out of stock until
a 'big enough' order comes in, etc.

I don't think they will produce a uSD GPS card because the uSD part would
be too easy to break off (mechanical issue). They made some prototypes then
canceled the idea.
You can get a full-size SD GPS card.

I think we have to look at each case separately and see what makes sense.
The SDW-823 Wi-Fi card makes a lot of sense if it works well - Javi and
others are currently trying to get it to work.
Also, Spectec will come out with a microSD ZigBee card at the end of this
month, that one could be interesting too but the Linux side would need
a lot of work.
RFID could also be nice (currently planned on Spectec's side but no firm date).

Maybe we should make some SDIO expansion cards for hacking, either coming
out via PCB or FPC so you could tape your extension to the back of the device.

uSD to full-size SD converters exist, see this picture
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/hardware/hacking/microSD_to_full_size_SD_adapter.jpg

I have two of them right now, but will look into producing some more to put
into our shop as an accessory. I don't think this kind of thing is good for
normal end users (mechanically too unstable & bulky), but for
development/hacking it would be cool.

First priority is to get our Ben NanoNotes finished and shipping, then we will
focus on all these expansion possibilities, eventually leading to Ya...
Wolfgang