GPS uSD? they exist?

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Nov 10 10:47:05 EST 2009

2009/11/10 Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at qi-hardware.com>:
> David,
>
>> I believe spetec can be a great partner to Qi-hardware they has the
>> best offer an variety of sdio I have seen.
>
> We know Spectec very well and have ongoing conversations with them.
> Unfortunately their website is confusing, tech specs may be incomplete.
> Products are listed but either not yet available or out of stock until
> a 'big enough' order comes in, etc.
ok I get it :)

> I don't think they will produce a uSD GPS card because the uSD part would
> be too easy to break off (mechanical issue). They made some prototypes then
> canceled the idea.
OOOooooooh..... :(

> You can get a full-size SD GPS card.

Yes this is what I'm going to do :

> I think we have to look at each case separately and see what makes sense.
> The SDW-823 Wi-Fi card makes a lot of sense if it works well - Javi and
> others are currently trying to get it to work.
> Also, Spectec will come out with a microSD ZigBee card at the end of this
> month, that one could be interesting too but the Linux side would need
> a lot of work.
> RFID could also be nice (currently planned on Spectec's side but no firm date)
Wolfgang thanks to clarify :)

> Maybe we should make some SDIO expansion cards for hacking, either coming
> out via PCB or FPC so you could tape your extension to the back of the device.

> uSD to full-size SD converters exist, see this picture
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/hardware/hacking/microSD_to_full_size_SD_adapter.jpg

Yes I hve buyed one of this on a uk shop :)

> I have two of them right now, but will look into producing some more to put
> into our shop as an accessory.
I like this idea a lot :)
> I don't think this kind of thing is good for
> normal end users (mechanically too unstable & bulky),
I agree :P
>but for
> development/hacking it would be cool.
I agree double :)

> First priority is to get our Ben NanoNotes finished and shipping, then we will
> focus on all these expansion possibilities, eventually leading to Ya...
Yes and that the right way to go
All this because we have an idea of simply open gps app and we want to
develop it , and then realize  than Nanonote really fits on size and
price for that, Ben will have his own stack of usefull apps but having
the posibility to extend it even in hackish ways can make developers
and people with ideas take the Nanonote as develop platform and have
Ya launched (whatever it will be) with a bunch of cool apps ready and
already tested in our hacked Bens :)