follow-up re system software

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Fri Nov 20 04:31:30 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:17 +0100, Rafael Campos wrote:
> Wolfgang,
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Wolfgang Spraul
> <wolfgang at qi-hardware.com> wrote:
> > Ron,
> >
> >> Is that issue considered a show stopper? until one understands if the
> >> root cause is hardware or software, one could argue it as being STOP
> >> SHIP severity.
> >
> > No, not a show stopper.
> > Almost the same hardware design as ours has shipped over 60,000 units already.
> > If there would be a serious microSD problem it would have been found.
> > What that means is that there is at least a workaround to the problem.
> > Also, I vaguely recall that we have not seen this issue when we started to
> > work with the original 2.6.24.3 kernel, but only after we cleaned up the
> > sources and up-leveled to 2.6.31.
> > All hardware ships with bugs. Many times you can even argue what is a hardware
> > bug and what a software bug. The lowest levels of software routinely have to
> > 'cover up' / 'workaround' hardware bugs, making the hardware look 'stable'
> > for higher levels of software.
> >
> > For this particular problem, I am confident enough that we will find a
> > software workaround in the end to not make it a STOP SHIP severity.
> > Otherwise we would never ship anything, and you would happily use lots of
> > other consumer electronics with bugs inside you just don't know about.
> >
> > However, I am clearly aware of this bug, and hopefully we get to the bottom
> > of it soon... The beauty of open - everything is known :-)
> > Wolfgang
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:30:13AM -0800, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> >> Mirko wrote:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Known_issues - if you don't think it's
> >> up-to-date feel free helping to make it up to date :)
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>
> >> Is that issue considered a show stopper? until one understands if the
> >> root cause is hardware or software, one could argue it as being STOP
> >> SHIP severity.
> >>

> >> What I was asking is where do we find a list of prioritized bugs with indication
> >> of which ones are being actively worked?
> >>
> >> with respect,
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Ron K. Jeffries

> Really good words, but as i see in the OpenMoko project, the people is
> happy if we found a software workaround, but it's happier if we found
> a hardware solution that could apply to this design ;)
>
> I hope to have both of them.
>
> Regards

Hey,

I agree with Wolfgang.
This specific issue is a really weird one, however I don't believe this
is a hardware issue.
The SD-card is working well once the NN is running - the mentioned
problem only occurs sometimes when trying to boot the NN from SD-card.
We have some assumptions what might be the problem within the software
and - as Wolfgang already said - similar versions of this device have
been shipped already and do not have these kind of issues.

This said, this issue does not seem like a hardware issue to me and
therefore it is no "show stopper", as the SD card is working fine.

Everything is going to be alright :)

mirko