usbboot button

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Thu Nov 26 13:59:35 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 07:13:13AM -0500, Carlos Camargo wrote:
> Hi Xiangfu
>
> You're right about use a "push button" for the reset, but some people on the
> list think that they can use Nano in a client-server configuration, so you
>  put Nano in usb-boot.
>
> But, we want to hear the developer's opinion about that. We are on time for
> make these changes.

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If the question is whether it is
possible to boot the Ben into a normal kernel over USB, then the answer
is yes: that's the only way Iris can currently boot.  I've soldered the
usb-boot pins closed, and it works as I expect it.

However, I'm not sure if it makes sense for "normal" people to fix the
device in usb-boot mode.  It only makes sense while developing a kernel.
Once the OS is in a state where it can boot and has a working network
(over usb) driver, it no longer requires booting over usb.

Then again, that's assuming that the kernel is stable and only userland
needs hacking.  That's a valid assumption for a microkernel such as
Iris, but not for Linux.  So I think it may be useful for Linux hackers
to be able to "permanently" boot over usb.  It means that a new kernel
can be tested without going through a nand reflash.

This only works if Linux is changed in a way that it can be booted over
USB, of course, but that should be trivial.  I think no change is
needed, actually.

Thanks,
Bas