what abt using amazon kindle?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sat Nov 28 02:01:44 EST 2009

Greesh,

>         let me explain what I meant by the kindle. Kindle has hardware as
> well as s.w. The kindle software used gpl code. So the modified code used in
> kindle is made open.
> Kindle can read ebooks. I guess with "voice reader " capability.
> My suggestion was to incorporate it in to nanonote as I said yesterday, to
> use opencourseware in nanonote.

Just checked Wikipedia - yes Kindle uses a Linux (i.e. GPL) kernel. Binary
drivers? Don't know. How many of the apps are GPL? Don't know.
I'm sure if Amazon released any interesting GPL apps they were already picked
up as Debian packages (or elsewhere).

We are actually much further.
Have you checked www.openinkpot.org ?
They have a whole free e-book distribution, primarily running on the Hanvon
N516 device, which is in turn quite compatible with the Ben NanoNote (almost
the same Ingenic CPU).

The OCW idea is great btw, I'll reply to it in the other mail you sent...
Wolfgang