how to get involved? [re-posted]

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sat Nov 28 02:17:43 EST 2009

Gireesh,
wonderful to see you here, welcome!

> (I did a blog http://mythicalcomputer.blogspot.com for making people learn
> TinyOS and currently involved in making it work for devices we can use in
> day to day life)

Nice some ZigBee work there, Spectec (spectec.com.tw) will soon release a
ZigBee microSD card that could be used in the Ben NanoNote (if anybody can
write a Linux driver for it, I think a lot of work...).

> Currently I am looking forward for working with low power devices which can
> run linux and can support audio/video capabilities essentially for people
> who travel in bus for 4-5 hours a day.

Great. The NanoNote could indeed be a good fit.
The device has speaker and microphone, the resolution of the screen is low
enough (320x240) for fast video output, especially since the CPU has some
video conversion acceleration as well as SIMD instructions that may help.
Note that these things are currently IN THEORY, we are working towards making
all this work, hopefully over the next few months.

> *Especially for students, who can use that time to watch MIT OCW or use
> voice based pdf readers to listen to an ebook. *

OCW is a fantastic project, the one problem I see is that I think most (all?)
of their courses are licensed under Creative Commons non-commercial licenses,
which means that for example Qi Hardware might not be allowed to sell devices
with these courses pre-installed. But who knows, if the courses themselves are
not the reason people buy the device, then maybe it is allowed? We need to look
into this at some point.
Does anybody know more?
I think this content needs to be re-created under really free licenses.

> It is like custom linux where I can select a set of applications and create
> a bootable image and optimize the power for longer battery life.

Yes definitely. We are using OpenWrt because we like how easy it is to create
custom images with it. I think we will focus on OpenWrt (for custom images)
and later Debian (for flexibility).

> NanoNote is something I liked for its features. I queried the IDA systems
> who advertised the marketing of this and they replied saying that it is not
> yet available.
> Can I get one or two nano note for playing around and do stuffs?
>
> If so how much does I have to pay and how can I order?

We have a few samples and will contact you off-list.

Thanks for your interest, keep us posted,
Wolfgang