WikiTravel and OpenZim

Mirko Lindner mirko at qi-hardware.com
Thu Oct 1 23:25:53 EDT 2009

Hey,

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Steve Mosher <steve at qi-hardware.com> wrote:

>  Mirko,
>     Long ago on a related project I made the pitch to turn that device into
> a Wikitravel device for several reasons.
>
>    1. The need for connectivity is reduced, especially with travel to
> destinations without connectivity.
>    2. We can do a geographic roll out. Starting here in SF!
>    3. The customer base is easily targeted ( I can target people who
> travel)
>    4. The retail channels are well defined ( store specific, brookstone for
> example)
>    5. The application work can be FOCUSED.
>    6. The combination of content specifically for the device helps the
> branding of both

We are in full agreement here.

> I think the same arguments apply here.  If you want me to pick an app that
> is the best launch
> vehicle, I would pick WikiTravel.

OK. I think technically Wikipedia and Wikitravel shouldn't be too far apart,
so if we get one to work, the other one will as well.

Evan, can we get a dump of the English Wikitravel database somewhere, so
that we can turn it into a ZIM file?

Ron, got any chance of helping us getting the data we need?

Regards,

/mirko