VERY naive questions

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Fri Oct 2 22:27:09 EDT 2009

Ron,
the simplest questions are the best.

> Q1 will Nanonote at first  released support a frame buffer?
>       (may be a totally DUMB question...)

Yes, I believe the framebuffer driver is already working.

> Q2 when a program displays text on Nanonote (for now)
>        is it using bit mapped fonts? I assume "yes." but am not sure.

Yes, bitmapped for sure.
One thing we need to investigate is that the pixels in our LCM are not
in-line, but offset by half of their width. It's not a hardware bug, but
a feature of certain types of (new?) LCMs. We could try to go back to a
regular, 'chess board' type LCM, but first we need to understand the pros
and cons better.
We may need to hand-tune a system (bitmap) font, since I'm not sure something
like this already exists in free software. But if it doesn't, even better,
then we can advance the state of free software.

> Q3 does Nanonote hardware support varying the brightness of the LCD?
>        LCD display is typically a major consumer of electrons, so
>        may (??) dominate power consumption.

No support for varying the brightness. Already written up on the Ya
product page: http://www.qi-hardware.com/projects/ya-nanonote
(although I'm not sure I personally like it)
In terms of power consumption, it's too early to tell. We need will a long
time, and consolidated effort, to optimize power consumption in the whole
system. Don't forget it actually is a little computer :-)
LCM will consume power, the speaker, CPU (lots of things can be fine-tuned
in the CPU), NAND and SD not sure, SDRAM not sure (probably very little).

> Q4 Does Nanonote maintain date/time across power down?
>        What about when changing battery?

Not sure, maybe someone else knows.

Wolfgang