questions from an interested observer

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sat Oct 17 12:55:08 EDT 2009

Ron,

> 1. do NOT ship hardware if a user must immediately
>  reflash to use the Nanonote productively.

I agree in principle but I think that is exactly what will happen.
The problem is that we cannot continue to produce 5 or 10 units to
loan or sell to selected developers.
It's too costly for the manufacturers.
So we have to bite the bullet and do a 1000 or 3000 units run.
At that point I cannot see how we hold them back artificially. We will
put them into the store and sales will clearly say that they may need to
be reflashed, and/or no stable image may exist yet.
Maybe you need to close your eyes for a while ;-)
But we will definitely not start any marketing around the sales until we
have a stable image, just like you said. The store will be open for
'insiders' only basically. Is this an acceptable compromise?

> but also need to sell to casual hobbyist and the curious
> who want to poke around and experiment without
> immediately going through a somewhat tedious reflash.

Totally agree. That is the focus of the company.

> 1c) the scarce resources of Nanonote development team
> should be focused on getting rid of bugs in the code,
> not answering email requests about why this or that does
> not work or is flaky.

Correct. Our focus on the SW side will be to
1. Produce stable builds only.
2. Carefully test the upgrade paths between images.

We have decided against automatic (daily) builds, because hackers can
build themselves anyway, and the majority of what you call 'casual hobbyists
and the curious' absolutely need a stable base, and need to know that upgrades
will not mess up their system.

> My input is that we not rush to market and create
> a negative first experience and possibly tarnish
> the reputation of this very promising little computer.

Thanks for sharing your concern. Fully understood here...
Wolfgang