Curiosity question OpenWRT vs Angstrom

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sat Oct 24 01:18:29 EDT 2009

Ron,
some of our initial core goals are:

1. boot time less than 5 seconds
2. optimize power consumption as much as possible

We thought OpenWrt can get us there the fastest, and initial results are
encouraging (last I heard boot time was around 10 seconds).
OpenEmbedded is a fine piece of free software, I've had tons of experience
with it at Openmoko. But one thing we never managed to accomplish with it,
despite considerable efforts, was faster boot times.
So this time we try OpenWrt first :-)

Of course the NanoNote is fully open, so we hope to see Debian on it, BSD,
Bas' new kernel, etc. And of course also OpenEmbedded images if someone is
interested.
Wolfgang