Upstreaming JZ4740 & OpenInkpot

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Wed Sep 2 09:25:24 EDT 2009

Hi Mikhail,

thanks a lot for the heads up, openinkpot was already on my radar and
someone said I should try to locate 'dottedmag' and 'jekhor' on irc :-)

> In the course of OpenInkpot[1] development we've cleaned up and rebased
> JZ47xx support to 2.6.29.x. Not upstream'ed yet though. Feel free to
> take patches from our git[2].

Wow that's fantastic and very much appreciated here.
I just visited Ingenic again today and we are trying to find ways to better
support the various development efforts (dingux, openinkpot, nanonote, etc).

> It would be nice to share the efforts for pushing the patches upstream -

Absolutely!
Just a word of caution: It's a huge task. We have to be realistic and
patient. At Openmoko, I had a similar upstream kernel effort and I had
a phenomenal group of 5+ full-time paid kernel hackers, plus another
5-10 active community contributors. After about 1+ year of intense work,
I can say we got somewhere. Had a really stable kernel, got some stuff
upstream (more was in the pipeline). Regression testing was still at the
beginning.

Now with the Ingenic kernel, we are just starting. Lars and Mirko Vogt
have done an incredible job the last few weeks. Xiangfu and others are
contributing to it. We hope we can unite our efforts with dingux, openinkpot
and others (like Yajin Zhou's onda vx747 work).
I hope we can convince Ingenic to support us better (working on that).
This time I will also focus on automatic regression testing early on, maybe
we can reuse some of the Openmoko testing stuff
http://git.openmoko.org/?p=gta03-test-suite.git;a=summary

So yes, we will take stuff from your git, and you are very welcome to take
stuff from our openwrt tree
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/openwrt-xburst/source/changes/xburst/

'Upstream' is a far away goal for me right now, I don't even dream about it
at night :-) I'd say 95% of the Ingenic sources will need to be rewritten
for that...
But it's fantastic you have the motivation to go there, please spread the
word that we need more people to help with this, whether it's on the
openinkpot or nanonote side.

Good to know you are there, I will check out and subscribe to the
openinkpot lists asap,
Wolfgang