some updates "from behind the scenes"

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Mon Sep 7 11:15:38 EDT 2009

Hello qi! :)

Long time no news, but now some updates - as Wolfgang said: "from
behind the scenes"; what happened on "our" side in keywords.

== Hardware
We got new prototypes with 2 GB NAND / new LCM - some things we noticed
(some amy not be relevant - but wanted to have them mentioned):

 - as Xiang Fu already mentioned, parts of the display are partially
hidden by the case (in my case - the first pixel-column on the left
respective the first pixel-row on the bottom).
 - the qi-hardware-bezels on top are not really fixed [1]
 - the new LCM switches on (and is fading into white) when going into
USB-boot-mode (the AUO didn't)
 - the new prototype makes weird high-frequency sounds when connected to
the serial console but not to power
 - when power-cycling the NanoNote too fast (which happens for me when I
flashed and now wanna try it out which results in plugging usb out and
in) it does not react anymore at all - you have to remove power several
seconds to get it booting again
 - keyboard and serial-console are partially sharing their pins, so for
now _either_ the full keyboard can be used _or_ the serial console
 - the NAND (old and new one) can be erased 5k times - in contrast the
NAND-chip within the Openmoko Freerunner has about 100k erase-cycles

== Software
 - OpenWrt is (still) running (with a really nice bootsplash - made with
love and passion [2])
 - still having the "boot-reliable-from-sdcard"-issues
 - 1GB as well as 2GB NAND chips are working
 - display- and framebuffer driver are written from scratch and working
 - keyboard is working in general (however we experienced some
kbd-issues with recent A1-devices - key-combinations to get special
characters inserted needs some more work, too)
 - you have to erase the NAND (<nand erase> in u-boot will do the job)
before flashing a jffs2-image (this may either be fixed in jffs2-code or
getting the flash-tools to erase the blocks after the jffs2-EOF-marker)
- also there exist some more ECC-problems

== misc
 - Ignacio should have got a Ben NanoNote - have fun! :) Hopefully you
can help us with getting this sd-card-issue fixed

These were just a few keywords - in case you want some more verbose
output please let us know :)

Happy hacking!

mirko (vogt)