some updates "from behind the scenes"

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Tue Sep 8 08:48:50 EDT 2009

Mirko,
excellent list, thanks a lot!
Let me just go through...

>  - as Xiang Fu already mentioned, parts of the display are partially
> hidden by the case (in my case - the first pixel-column on the left
> respective the first pixel-row on the bottom).

Totally agree, we will watch this from now on and it should not appear
again.

>  - the qi-hardware-bezels on top are not really fixed [1]

On you picture it seems like it is really coming off quite easily.
On my prototype it is not. How is your bezel attached to the top cover?
Not at all? Glue? Do you have that little slider to open the device?
In my device the slider also prevents the bezel from coming off.

>  - the new LCM switches on (and is fading into white) when going into
> USB-boot-mode (the AUO didn't)

I tested this here on my prototype, same batch of 20 as yours, and I
cannot reproduce it. Are you using the Giantplus LCM with the 1GB or
2GB board? Maybe it was some setting in the LCM from your driver work?
Is this reproducible to you? Yi already asked - can you still use the
LCM later or will it remain unusable?
Please let me know if you want us to look deeper into this.

>  - the new prototype makes weird high-frequency sounds when connected to
> the serial console but not to power
>  - when power-cycling the NanoNote too fast (which happens for me when I
> flashed and now wanna try it out which results in plugging usb out and
> in) it does not react anymore at all - you have to remove power several
> seconds to get it booting again

Those 2 are strange. You see this only with the black Qi design prototypes?
Or also with the older 1GB boards? Both cases also seem a bit rare to me,
so I will wait whether we see a pattern or believe this is important before
taking further actions. Please let me know.

>  - keyboard and serial-console are partially sharing their pins, so for
> now _either_ the full keyboard can be used _or_ the serial console

That's a design limitation. I don't think it's worth fixing right now.

>  - the NAND (old and new one) can be erased 5k times - in contrast the
> NAND-chip within the Openmoko Freerunner has about 100k erase-cycles

Interesting. Where does the 5k and 100k number come from?
I looked in the NanoNote NAND datasheet, and the revision history says
"10K->5K" and then "5K->TBD". Now it says TBD. I'm not sure whether this
is just a 'paper value' because of warranty concerns, or whether it's a
real 'low endurance' NAND chip. Both the NanoNote and FreeRunner use
NAND chips from Samsung, and the one in the NanoNote is a relatively
recent chip. So I hope they improved technology, not made it worse :-)
I think we need to find a real NAND expert to tell us how real those
numbers are and which chip we could switch to for higher endurance.

>  - still having the "boot-reliable-from-sdcard"-issues

Hmm. That's strange. Please keep me posted, especially if you think
it's a chip or HW design issue.

Still, all sounds encouraging, congratulations for the great progress!
Wolfgang