Lattice or Xilinx

Ignacio García Pérez iggarpe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:42:56 EDT 2009

I would say that for a portable device the MOST important feature, by far,
is the power consumption, and even the latest low power devices have
comparatively (to ASICs) high power requirements.

That said, I sincerely think that adding an FPGA to the NanoNote is not a
good idea. IIRC, the idea is to allow the NN to be used as as the "brains"
of electronics projects. In that case, the FPGA offers the BEST flexibility
if you forget about the power consumption issues, but to make use of that
flexibility you must place a connector with a lot of pins. And that is a lot
of PCB real state, not to mention the design challenge of integrating the
high-pin-count connector in the enclosure.

If I was to use the NN as the controller of a project, I would just use an
external microcontroller with integrated USB device port. In this case it
would be certainly convenient to have +5V/100mA available in the NN port.