Lattice or Xilinx

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:06:59 EDT 2009

Hi Ignacio

I would say that for a portable device the MOST important feature, by far,
> is the power consumption, and even the latest low power devices have
> comparatively (to ASICs) high power requirements.

I have a FPGA - ARM processor design, in wich the processor can control the
FPGA clock, so, I can Enable the FPGA logic at any moment, but you're right,
The FPGA increase the power consumption, so is necessary find a way to
control it.

> That said, I sincerely think that adding an FPGA to the NanoNote is not a
> good idea. IIRC, the idea is to allow the NN to be used as as the "brains"
> of electronics projects. In that case, the FPGA offers the BEST flexibility
> if you forget about the power consumption issues, but to make use of that
> flexibility you must place a connector with a lot of pins. And that is a lot
> of PCB real state, not to mention the design challenge of integrating the
> high-pin-count connector in the enclosure.

I agree, adding a FPGA is not an easy work, is necessary add an external
connector with many pins, I like your idea, similar to David Reyes
sugestion. If we using Nano as brain, and enable some ports for external
use, like I2C, SPI, USB host, we can design a lot of interesting
applications.

I think that a good Idea woul be make accessible the data, address and
control processor bus, so, the people can build custom boards with any FPGA.

Cordial saludo

Carlos

If I was to use the NN as the controller of a project, I would just use an
> external microcontroller with integrated USB device port. In this case it
> would be certainly convenient to have +5V/100mA available in the NN port.
>
> 2009/9/10 Carlos Camargo <cicamargoba at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi
>>

>> As you know, we are planning add a FPGA to the new Nano. I want to start a
>> discussion about what is the best family for nano, what I care about is:
>>
>> Power consumption
>> Size
>> Free tools for programming / configuration
>> Price
>> Available logic, RAM, multipliers, etc
>>

>> At present I'm using Xilinx Spartan 3E FPGAs, but I don't have enough
>> experience with Altera, or Lattice, Can you please talk us about your
>> experiences with Lattice and Altera FPGAs?
>>

>> Best Regards
>>

>> Carlos
>>

>> --
>> Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
>> Profesor Asistente
>> Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica y Electrónica
>> Universidad Nacional de Colombia
>> cicamargoba at unal.edu.co

Carlos Iván Camargo Bareño
Profesor Asistente