Ben NanoNote booting

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Sep 13 03:36:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

Last week, I received my Ben prototype (thanks Mirko!).  Now I want to
make it boot Iris.  Preferably I don't want to install it on an SD card.
That should be possible, right?  Under the battery are two pads which
say that the device uses "usb boot" when they are closed.  I'll probably
solder them closed.  However, my first attempt to close them with a
screwdriver while powering up didn't make anything special happen.
Also, my system logs don't show anything about new devices being plugged
in.

The wiki says something about a "usbboot" utility which is part of the
openwrt tree(?)  I'll probably be adjusting it so it will boot Iris
instead of Linux.

Summarizing, what I would prefer is the easiest possible way to boot a
new system from my main computer on the Ben.  Best would be if it can be
triggered by a command on the main computer.  Also good would be to
power-cycle the Ben.  Not so good would be if the cable needs to be
replugged.  Still worse would be to write every image to an SD card
before it can be booted.

I have no problem at all if the USB cable needs to be connected
continuously.  Eventually that isn't good of course, but now I'm only
developing.

Thanks,
Bas