Ben NanoNote booting

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Sep 13 09:09:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Last week, I received my Ben prototype (thanks Mirko!).  Now I want to

Same here, thanks! :)

> make it boot Iris.  Preferably I don't want to install it on an SD card.
> That should be possible, right?

Yes, you can put it on the NAND flash.

> Under the battery are two pads which
> say that the device uses "usb boot" when they are closed.  I'll probably
> solder them closed.

You shouldn't (permanently) do that, you'll want to sometimes "boot"
from USB (which is an incorrect term actually, it only allows you to
reflash the NAND via this mechanism, I don't think you can actually boot
and OS that way).

> However, my first attempt to close them with a
> screwdriver while powering up didn't make anything special happen.

Do this on your PC/laptop as root:

 $ watch lsusb

Then shorten the two "usbboot" pins with the screwdriver and attach
the USB cable to power the device (hold the screwdriver there for 2-3
seconds). If it worked a new USB device 601a:4740 will appear on your
PC side.

Instead of plugging the USB cable you can also shorten "usbboot" and
(while keeping it shorted with the screwdriver) press the reset button
(on the back side of the device).

> Also, my system logs don't show anything about new devices being plugged
> in.

If there's no 601a:4740 in lsusb it didn't work. Just retry. I have the same
problems, you often have to try multiple times until you get a
successful "boot". Not sure if this is a problem with me shorting the
pins reliably or some software instability or whatever.

> The wiki says something about a "usbboot" utility which is part of the
> openwrt tree(?)  I'll probably be adjusting it so it will boot Iris
> instead of Linux.

usbboot is a Linux command line utility which allows you to flash the
NAND of the NanoNote via USB. It's not in the openwrt repo, it has it's
own repository.

http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/xburst-tools/
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/xburst-tools/

> Summarizing, what I would prefer is the easiest possible way to boot a
> new system from my main computer on the Ben.  Best would be if it can be
> triggered by a command on the main computer.  Also good would be to
> power-cycle the Ben.  Not so good would be if the cable needs to be
> replugged.  Still worse would be to write every image to an SD card
> before it can be booted.
>
> I have no problem at all if the USB cable needs to be connected
> continuously.  Eventually that isn't good of course, but now I'm only
> developing.

Hm, not sure if this can be achieved, maybe other can comment. For
reflashing you definately need to short "usbboot" and afterwards reset
the device (with "usbboot" not shorted) to actually run the image you
flashed.

You might also want to setup your serial console, for debugging output,
I'll document that process some more in the wiki, for now here's a quick
basic HOWTO:

http://wiki.qi-hardware.com/index.php/Serial_console

The wiki doesn't yet allow uploads so I put some photos here for now:

http://randomprojects.org/wiki/Qi_Hardware_Ben_NanoNote

Hope that helps, Uwe.