USB serial console

Ignacio García Pérez iggarpe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:27:02 EDT 2009

Since the network is point-to-point, you can restrict the net mask to a 30
bit one:

iface usb0 inet static
    address 10.1.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.252
    network 10.1.0.0
    gateway 10.1.0.1

Also, just add a /etc/resolv.conf to the NN and configure your PC to route
and you can access the internel from the NN. In your PC:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.1.0.2 -j MASQUERADE

2009/9/17 Carlos Camargo <cicamargoba at gmail.com>

> Hi Ignacio
>
> Thanks again for your information, I replace the file
> drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c for Dignux kernel's file (kernel 2.6.24.3), add
> an entry to /etc/network/interfaces,
>
> auto usb0
> iface usb0 inet static
>         address 10.0.0.30
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 10.0.0.0
>         gateway 10.0.0.10
>
> and all works fine!!
>

> Saludos
>

> Carlos
>

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Carlos Camargo <cicamargoba at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot Ignacio
>>
>> Saludos
>>

>> Carlos
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Ignacio García Pérez <iggarpe at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Earlier releases of Dingux had a g_serial console too, but it had some
>>> inconveniences, for example file transfer is possible but a pain in the ass.
>>>
>>> So I moved to ethernet gadget. The interface is set as 10.1.0.2/30 and a
>>> DHCP server is configured to provide only one lease which is always
>>> 10.1.0.1/30. Inetd is also launched and telnet/ftp services are provided
>>> through it. When the system boots, the PC soon sees a new ethernet card
>>> which is autoconfigured vía the DHCP server. Then you can access the console
>>> vía telnet and transfer files vía FTP.
>>>
>>> If you consider this approach, some remarks about the 2.6.24.3 Ingenic
>>> kernel:
>>>
>>> 1- You must modify the code to enable CDC mode in your code
>>> (drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c).
>>> 2- The code needs an small fix so Windows will recognize the ethernet
>>> card (see file above in the dingux kernel source).
>>> 3- Something is badly broken either in the Ingenic USB device or DMA
>>> code. The ethernet gadget only works reliably if you disable DMA (put
>>> jz4740_udc.use_dma=0 in the kernel command line). This halves throughput but