some more updates from the software part

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Wed Sep 23 22:09:13 EDT 2009

Lars,

> They use a more evolutionary approach when it comes to patching the
> Ingenic sources, it's not that much of a cleanup or rewrite as opposed
> to what we did.

OK got it.
Let me explain my plan a bit and see what you think:
Right now, Ingenic is publishing their work on the Linux kernel on a daily
basis, through our servers. Cross your fingers that it keeps working, but
right now I see updates until 2 days ago, so it seems to work.
Ingenic works on two kernel versions, 2.6.24.3 and 2.6.27.

The way I see it is that people like you, Mirko, and many other upstream
Linux folks have abilities that the in-house Ingenic engineers don't have,
and will not have in the foreseeable future.
Such as English skills, and ability to quickly communicate with upstream,
understand the 'big picture' kernel architecture and interface changes.
Whereas the Ingenic engineers know their chips much better than we do, so
they can fix specific bugs much more effectively, and bring out the features
of the chips.

I like that you do a more radical approach to cleaning up the Ingenic
patches, because when we have reached a good enough level and completeness,
I can ask Ingenic to re-base their work on top of our kernel.
It gives us the chance to define the architecture and interfaces for them,
and they fill in the details.
That way I believe we are all working with our respective strengths.

What do you think? Does this make sense?
I understand we only work on 1 board right now (the Ben NanoNote), and only
care for a few peripherals (well you have the 4740 EVB as well now...)
But at which point do you believe would it make sense for us to ask
Ingenic to up-level to our kernel?
Should we introduce some more 'boilerplate' code for them, just take some
more drivers over into a better architectural structure, even if those
drivers don't work or have commented-out code. And then ask Ingenic
to see whether they want to continue on that basis?

Right now they will continue on the 2.6.24.3 and 2.6.27 trees. They mostly
run Android on the 2.6.27 tree (that's the reason they started with this
kernel version in the first place).

This is basically what I had in mind. Any thoughts?
Wolfgang