Problems with video files on wiki

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Sat Apr 10 23:38:39 EDT 2010

Marc,

> patent free version chromium-browser -): Nevertheless when I try to
> open the video it first pause during some long time when buffering,
> then the cursor move but the screen stay black.
> It play the first half Ok, but not so fluid, when we come to the waves
> on the screen of the SAKC, it stops on a static image.
>
> Chromium also propose VLC but it then refuse to open the video
> pretending a plugin is missing.
> Now I have looked at this video twenty times, it's no longer very
> entertaining! I will not try firefox but on any browser even elinks
> you can download, then play.

Wow you did some exhaustive tests there, great! Thanks a lot!
I think the bottom line is that the video file itself is good, but the
'in browser' play options all have some problems here and there. Maybe the
high bitrate of this particular video also contributes to this.
There is not much we can do about it at this point, other than continuously
updating to the latest MediaWiki versions.

Wiki videos work fine for me in Iceweasel, will keep an eye on some other
ways as well.
Thanks again for the testing,
Wolfgang