u-boot, kernel and rootfs

Jonathan Nieder jrnieder at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 04:55:07 EDT 2010

Mirko Lindner wrote:

> u-boot:
> We would create u-boot in two flavors:
> - one logging to the console rather than the serial console
[...]
> kernels:
> Three kernel flavors:
> - our standard kernel
> - the standard kernel without the splash image
> - one targeted at a debian rootfs; standard + fpu + inotify
[...]
> rootfs:
> Two flavors
> - our standard rootfs
> - a barebone rootfs, which will only have the absolutely necessary programs
> installed (no gmenu2x, no qt etc etc)

Sounds awesome.  I am especially excited to hear about the kernel.  For
people who want to try out pre-built binaries (e.g., Debian packages)
before investing time in customizing things, fpu emulation is a must,
even if in practice apps might need to be rebuilt with soft-float
anyway for speed.

Thanks for your work, and if there’s anything people can do to help
(testing, unsolved problems, etc), I would be happy to hear about it.

Cheers,
Jonathan