Update failed: bricked Ben?

Fernando Carello fcarello at libero.it
Tue Apr 6 05:42:42 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've tried reflashing the Ben following the instructions on:

http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/How_to_reflash

from an Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit pc.

The Ben correctly entered in USB Boot mode, lsusb correctly showed

601a:4740

so I did run reflash_ben.sh as root.

It started fine, downloaded the images, but a certain point I got these errors:

fetching bootloader...
fetching kernel...
fetching rootfs...
booting device...
flashing bootloader...
Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:640
flashing kernel...
Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:8
Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:0
Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:64

The process eventually ended.
The Ben is now locked: it does not boot anymore.
I removed the battery, waited a few minutes and installed the battery again: now the Ben turn on by itself and shows:

Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80600000
Image Name: Linux-2.6.32.9
Image Type: MIPS Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 1714583 bytes
Load Address: 80010000
Entry Point: 80014290
Verifying Checksum: Bad Data CRC
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

It won't power off (unless I pull out the battery); it won't enter USBBOOT mode, because as soon as I reinstall the battery I get the aforementioned scenario without having a chance to press [U]+Power.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Fernando