ALSA Question & Answer & sndpeek ported (console version)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Apr 7 22:38:05 EDT 2010

Ruben,

> doesn't register any output. It may be my fault (I had to patch the
> main sndpeek.cpp to make it compile), but as sox's rec does not record
> anything, it may be not. Any hints?

You are probably the first one to seriously look at the microphone, so
it's very possible that the problem is in the kernel or sound drivers.
AFAIK nobody has ever used the microphone under Linux until today.
If someone has, please speak up.

What I can contribute to this right now is only to assert you that the
hardware is definitely OK. Luckily for us at this point, the entire
production process including production testing is happening with a
proprietary microkernel.
All functions of the device, including recording, playback, playing
videos and what not, are exhaustively tested on each Ben NanoNote.

As a last step we flash our Linux image onto the device.
We knew that we couldn't get the completeness of the Linux image to the
point that it could be used for production verification. Now that we
have more and more eyes on the platform, we can fix all those bugs like
microphone support, and then at some point risk a production run that
uses Linux and 100% GPL software to verify that every device works.
But our image itself better be really bug-free and predictable before
we do that :-)

I understand it's a bit scary to realize that we might have never
successfully used the microphone under Linux. We have to have some
faith in our ability to make it work now, knowing that there is
proprietary software that can do that as well...

Can you write up the microphone problem in the issue tracker?
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/p/ben-nanonote/issues/

Thanks for your feedback,
Wolfgang