Keyboard map proposition

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 05:34:30 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Guylhem Aznar <nanonote at guylhem.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> After having spend some time with the nanonote, I really believe the
> keyboard layout is suboptimal.
>
> Some ideas :
>  - esc, tab, shift should be closer to their real positions
>  - space key should be bigger
>  - there should only be 1 modifier, at the left handside to make 2
> hands operation easier
>  - likewise, direction pad should be at the right handside to make 2
> hands operation easier
>  - numbers could go in a single row
>  - brackets, braces, parenthesis should be grouped, because they can
> hardly be seen (dark red=not easily seen)
>
> A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a quick layout that I
> drew upon the existing picture taken from
> sharism.cc/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/kbd1.png
>
> What would you think about such changes?
>
> It can certainly be improved. There's some space left near the
> modifier to add other symbols - like euro, umlaut, dead accents...
>
> Guylhem

Guylhem

- In Europe we certainly want euro (but it's continent-centric!).
- A large space bar is needed on a desktop to keep your two thumbs
over the space bar, but I don't see well the use of it on a so small
keyboard, better to have more keys.
- Why not to use the modifier to have more Fn keys, it's always a pain
on software like mc that fit very well on Ben, but where we are used
to make constant use of F8 (available now, but no longer in your
design), and F10. Of course Fn Keys will be less needed if we get
touchscreen in next model, but they will be still useful.

Marc