Debian update

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 08:43:29 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:50 PM, nebajoth <nebajoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 05:40 AM, marc zonzon wrote:
>> That being said, I have compiled my kernels with fpu, they work on the
>> nanonote. But I'm still unable to execute code from the Debian mipsel
>> repository. I try to chroot or execute directly the loader to call the
>> proper library.
>>
>> THe kernel and nanonotes are compiled with MIPS32 architecture, debian
>> mipsel is MIPS-1, it should not be a problem it is a subset of MIPS32.
>
> From the release page for the Dingux toolchain:
> dingux_toolchain_20091022.tar.bz2
> Latest toolchain (fixed: previous toolchain was wrongly compiled for
> MIPS I, compiled with -O3).
>
> I wasn't sure whether this meant that the previous toolchain was wrongly
> compiled in that it targeted the MIPS-1 platform, or that it targetted
> it wrongly, so I checked the changelog.
>
> 2009-09-16
>
>  - Toolchain and rootfs were compiled in MIPS I flavor, but the JZ4740
>    seems to be MIPS32. Recompiled in MIPS32 mode (tanks Vladimir
>    Silyaev).
>
> Whaaaaat?  Is that the problem here?
>
>> But I'm not expert in cross compilation: the debian mipsel
>> distribution is compiled with glibc. I compiled my kernels with the
>> openwrt buildroot and the gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1. I don't know
>> if such kernel can be used with glibc libraries?
>>
>> What puzzles me is that people from A320 Dingux can execute both
>> nanonotes and debian mipsel. A320 is the  the same processor, their
>> kernel is also MIPS32, I don't know what libc they are using. I don't
>> have checked to what extent their tools and kernel config are
>> available.
>
> Further, dingux_toolchain_20091022.tar.bz2 contains one directory,
> called mipsel-linux-uclibc.  So it looks like the A320 also uses the
> uclibc.  However, as you say, if the A320 people are able to run
> debian-mipsel with the same processor, then we must be doing something
> else wrong.  Perhaps compiling the kernel for MIPS-1 when it should be
> compiled for MIPS32.

No nanonotes is compiled in mips32 from the kernel config:
CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1=y
# CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2 is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_MIPS64_R1 is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_MIPS64_R2 is not set

$ file vmlinux.elf
vmlinux.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, with unknown capability 0xf41 = 0x756e6700,
stripped

So I don't know what differs from dingux a320, but I have not seen
their kernel config.

Marc