How about... OpenWrt or similar on this 7-in $99 USD lappie

Christopher Harrington ironiridis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 17:37:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 15:48, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,
> I do not disagree, on the other hand, as a ~practical~ matter
> one can not YET restrict the netbooks etc one uses to strictly
> copyleft (or even just plain "open") hardware.
>
> Well, of course. I'm typing this on a MacBook.

> Nanonote is a fun device, well worth owning as (for now)
> a nice little hacking platform. But I promise you that even
> Wolfgang or Mirko do all their work using Nanonote.
>
> I think you meant "don't do all their work" here, but again, of course not.

> A Debian or similar software on top of an el cheapo
> lappie would be A Good Thing. (At least for me).

It's been done. Over and over and over again. The Eee for example fits this
bill. (Or, at least, it did in my opinion.)

I guess my purpose in replying to you is that folks who bought the Nanonote
are interested in libre hardware; we all know there are non-libre
alternatives. But that's not why we're here, and that's not why we're
Sharism customers. This device is the first one I've ever seen that was both
affordable and completely free, and that's why I feel comfortable hacking on
it so I can contribute my experiments back to the community.

I'm not trying to shut you down; the netbook you linked to is a neat device.
But it's just a perpetuation of the current status quo.

> ---
> Ron K. Jeffries

-Chris

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:44, Christopher Harrington
> <ironiridis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 13:34, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Interesting device, a $99 7-in screen laptop but with
> >> OH SO WRONG operating environment. ;)
> >>

> http://www.eglobalwireless.com/p-4333-new-7-mini-netbook-laptop-notebook-wifi-windows-2gb-hd.aspx
> ?
> >>
> >> One can only dream.
> >> ---
> >> Ron K. Jeffries
> >>

> > This device fails on the "open hardware" attractiveness of the Ben.
> >
> > --
> > -Chris Harrington
> > Phone: 612.598.3650

-Chris Harrington