A Few Things (Debian, Sharism)

Guylhem Aznar nanonote at guylhem.net
Tue Apr 20 11:25:57 EDT 2010

Hello

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:24, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> In the last few weeks I have to say I saw a number of amazing posts from
> new people, names I have never seen before like Guylhem Aznar, marc zonzon,
> Delbert Franz, mark adrian bell, Jonathan Nieder, Ruben Berenguel, Phil
> Endecott, cristian paul, Richard Alloway, yourself, and many others.
> Are you guys really all hacking on the NanoNote? Amazing! :-)

I did much more things with the Sharp Zaurus, then tried to launch an
acer based dual boot pda (windows CE) with a friend, but it was a long
time ago.

The Nanonote is bringing all the fun back !

> So what do you and others think of a Ya NanoNote like this:
> Same case as Ben, but XBurst 4760 (500-600mhz),

Same case? Ok but fix the keyboard please :-)

> USB On-The-Go (that means client and host on the same plug),

This idea may look strange to many people, but mini-A plugs are hard
to find. Including a mini-A to A cable with the Ya would be expansive.
What about keeping the USB slave port, and putting a full-width USB-A
plug next to it?

It would raise the BOM compared to a single OTG but it would be much
more useful for the hackers (like to plug a mouse: no need for any
adapter)
I also remember the various software problems caused by OTG ports.

> 64 or 128 MB RAM,

128 MB is very welcome, but I would even go for 256M if it is
possible. If a full fledged distribution is to be run, and if it
doesn't raise the price too much, 256M would be nice. Angstrom could
run comfortably with 256M.

> and HopeRF module so Ya NanoNotes can talk to each other?

That is the most interesting part.

I have a Oregon Scientific-compatible wireless thermometer on 433 MHz.
I have RF controller power plugs and various other gizmos. It would be
nice if the Nanonote could intercept and send their signals. It may
require some reversing on the protocols, but usually they are not very
complicated.

It could be better if more devices could be accessed that way - say
zigbee modules. Some of them also use 2.4GHz IIRC. Do you have other
chip options, with a wider spectrum?

 I am asking because what would be even more interesting to me would
be "GNU radio" like capabilities. Yet a FPGA would bring the price way
up.

> Just an idea, let's see how we can advance Ben software and SAKC in coming
> months (I am very interested in the Bluetooth and GPS hacking by Guylhem
> and cristian paul, for example).

I've a problem with the chip - it doesn't reply to command. Last time
I used it was 3 years ago - to replace another fried bluetooth chip on
a simpad surgery project :-)
I have to try with yet another one but it needs to be reflashed and
there is a lot of work waiting in my real life. Long story :-/

Regarding hacking, what about bringing both uarts + unused GPIOs to an
easy place, and having the battery door reveal that place?
I mean, some empty space next the the battery (still held by a plastic
bar) where the pins are located, along with some space to fit a
module.

If you replace the pads by pins (like David Reyes did, but as an
internal port), more people could purchase and hook modules there. it
may not cost too much. Beginners could simply put LEDS on GPIO to code
something with visible effects.

> And what evaluation of the HopeRF module brings...

A chip with limited range, yet also capable of operating on
850/900/1800/1900 would be "better". I'm interested in nanocell stuff
- basically to serve a sip account to DECT and gsm clients whose sim
card id has been whitelisted, in a 2 meter distance. For regulation
purposed, it should not be installed by default - but that would
certainly be a nice addon :-)

Guylhem